“Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” Reinhold Niebuhr
Following on from the fact that I have now become wise (see my last post), I thought that I would return to a favourite quote and see whether I think differently now than before.
A. The things that I now know I cannot change
- My marriage ended and I did not choose to end it.
- There is a period from a marriage’s end until complete resolution of its ending.
- My personality.
- My age and gender.
B. The things that I now know that I can change
- What I choose do now.
- To always act with grace and dignity even when I don’t feel like it.
- My character.
- In fact everything else, except # 1 – 4 in part A above.
C. The difference
- I thought my choices were taken away and they were not.
- I cannot help how I feel but I can always change how I act.
- Character is what counts.
- There is almost nothing that is not within my power to change.
D. The serenity
- See point 2 in Part B above. Try it. The calming effect is contagious.
E. The courage
- See point 2 in Part B above. As I have done it (most of the time), then that proves I have courage.
F. The wisdom
- .See point 2 in all the above. That ‘period’ may take me a long time and maybe all my life but I will not let it define my life or destroy my life.
Image courtesy- [Nongpimmy]:FreeDigitalPhotos.net